The Consilience Energy Advisory Group has the ability to support external legal advisors or in-house legal teams of companies who find themselves involved in trading and related litigation.
Our litigation support abilities include appearing as an independent expert witness. We can help discover the underlying facts, help understand the trading pattern or relevant commercial activities and compare any given situation with normal custom and practice of trade. We have substantial experience in establishing a fair and objective assessment of damages or ‘quantum’.
We are commissioned regularly on a confidential basis to act as advisors and/or expert witnesses on international matters involving litigation both in the High Courts and in arbitration panels. This is one of the fastest growing areas of our business and reflects the fact that accurate management of complex legal issues has become an integral aspect of performance in the energy industry.
The sums involved in complex litigation cases can be substantial, running into hundreds of millions of dollars. We provide expert testimony on such issues as pricing trends, valuation and current best practice on trading and contracts.
Contact us to find out more about our services, fees and terms of business.
Recent examples of our work include:
- Litigation concerning tanker and joint venture agreements
- Litigation concerning misappropriation of oil
- Litigation concerning a European gas ‘take or pay’ contract
- Litigation concerning liability for compliance with emissions legislation
- Litigation concerning derivative contracts
- Litigation concerning failure to accept delivery of oil
- Arbitration concerning transfer pricing
- Litigation concerning non-delivery of equipment
- A fuel oil and crude oil pricing dispute taken to arbitration
Liz Bossley is a member of the Expert Witness Institute.
For information concerning EWI see : www.ewi.org.uk